Friday, July 6, 2007

Smokin'

The smoke test is back, and using the ogre renderer. But the important thing is all the components are working together again. So now it's time to break stuff!

There's two major things I'm looking at:

- Simplify message passing.

I plan to do this by implementing object serialization for my hierarchy. I have to be careful, but I think I know how to do this. It might take some time, but it shouldn't be too bad.

- Exposing the interfaces of server-managed objects.

This is harder, and I'm just looking at mechanism right now, not even policy. The current deal is every method matches up with a command in the Commands object. Commands are specified in an xml file, and code is generated from them. Each command requests certain data, and has an expected response. Requests and responses are specified in xml files, and client interface code is generated from them. On the server, each object is wrapped in a shared library that can be loaded by the server depending on what behavior you want the server to take on. Each shared libary exposes the same interface to the server object - handleCommand( id, command ) I WANT SOMETHING SIMPLE! Oy. Or at least more transparent on the client end, and less work on the server end. Yes, I know this is an old problem with corba, rmi, soap, etc, littering the path before me. So this problem is harder :|

But that's what makes it fun! :)

Screenshots...
Unfortunately, I couldn't dig up some of the neater patterns I used to have, but they do demonstrate 3D hierarchal lsystems. The second has breeding turned on, so it looks a little more messed up.


No comments: